Sunday, May 31, 2015

CYCI #72 Brand new Bohemian Bag

This post will be short and sweet.  Not sure if you've been following along, but we tore up our house; moving around a few rooms and renovating our crafting space.  Since we didn't finish last weekend, I've been working on finishing it after work and now that another weekend is here, we got a lot more done today.  But still more to do, and now I'm exhausted.  So I'm literally dozing off as I write this.  Like I said, bound to be short and sweet...besides this part, Lol.  Also, please forgive any typo's.

This week, CanYouCaseIt is bringing you a sketch challenge to play with! 

www.canyoucaseit.com
 
I went a little outside of the box with this (I know, SHOCKER, right?  Like "Out of the Box" is not my style?  Lol!).  Instead of a card, I wanted to make a 3-D item.  Here it is:
 
 
I hope it's not taboo to say that when I first saw the Bohemian DSP, I was like "wth?" (that's "what the heck" around here...)  On one hand, I wasn't crazy about it, but on the other hand, it was just so different that I liked the "outside the box-ness" of it.  I kind of took it as a challenge to come up with a way to make it work.  (BTW, Cindy Schuster has made some of the best Bohemian projects that I've seen out there so far.  See them HERE.)
 
Before this sketch challenge came around, I've just had the thought of using the paper in the back of my mind, waiting for a project to attack.  When I saw the sketch, something just clicked, and I said to myself, "hey, I'll make a gift bag!  And I'll use the new Bohemian DSP!"  Voila! This project was born! 
 
I got to break in not only the DSP, but also the new Gift Bag Punch Board.  Again, I'll admit that I was a little intimidated by the punch board.  But I read the directions that are actually printed on the board (must say, Great Idea, Stampin' Up!), looked it over a few times, and got to scoring.  And it really is a piece of cake once you know what to do.   Let me know if you need a video tutorial...I've been considering filming something, just not sure if there would be any interest.
 
The sketch inspired me to follow the lines of the Bohemian pattern on the bottom of my tag to get the pointy banner look of the sketch.  After I did that, I also wanted to follow the lines of the pattern by chomping the top corners of the tag with the hexagon punch.  I stamped the sentiment in the new Dijon In-Color and Bermuda Bay.  I punched the small hearts out of Bermuda Bay and Gold Foil to tie in the Gold Baker's Twine.  I finished the bag off with a handle made from the Bohemian Washi tape.  I just stuck 2 long pieces of tape sticky side together, used the stickiness to stick it to the bag, and stapled it for both design and function.
 
Hope you like it!  Please visit CYCI to see what the rest of the design team has made. Hope you play along with the challenge while you're there.
 
So much for short and sweet...I should have known better.  Oh, well.  Off to bed for me now.  Good night!

5 comments:

  1. Awesome bag...LOVE the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving the new Boho collection and your gorgeous bag. Great idea to shape the bottom of the tag and yep, I love that too. Grin. I can't wait to get my hands on the collection after not getting a pre-order in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. James you have this sketch in the bag! lol... yup I went there! :) Eva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the cut edges of the DSP! What a great project James :) you rocked it!

    ReplyDelete